A personal injury lawyer is available to help you file a claim against the negligent party. An attorney can help you file a lawsuit, prepare your case for trial, and settle a claim.
Sacramento has thousands of personal injury attorneys. You can easily find dozens of lawyers in your area by doing a quick Google search. It can be hard to choose the right lawyer to handle your case with so many choices.
Let’s talk about strategies that you can use when looking for a personal injury attorney.
These are five steps you can follow to locate a personal injury attorney.
If this is your first case, it can be hard to find a competent personal injury lawyer. It is likely that you are not familiar with the law firms in your area. You might be asking yourself, “What makes a good personal injuries lawyer?”
You can use the internet to find a lawyer if you don’t know where to begin your search. These are five tips to help you start your search for a Personal Injury Lawyer.
1. Check that the lawyer is licensed to practice law in your state. If you are a Sacramentoresident and were injured in Sacramento you will need a Sacramento personal injury lawyer. Although it may seem obvious, you should make sure that the lawyer(s), which you found in your initial search, can legally practice law in your state. You should not consider them if they are not licensed to practice law in your state.
2. Consider the type of cases that the law firm handles. A lawyer can practice law in many areas, including personal injury law and tax law. Perhaps you have heard of a lawyer who helped a friend recently and want to reach out. Be sure to verify that they are experienced in personal injury cases before you make this move.
3. Find as much information as possible online. You can also check the website of the lawyer to see the different types of cases they have handled. If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, make sure to look for a lawyer who has a track record of helping victims. To find out what other people think about the lawyer you are considering, do some research. Also, look out for awards and accolades that have been given to lawyers or law firms. These are indicators that the firm has respect and is well-respected.
4: Schedule a consultation. Start scheduling consultations once you have compiled a list with several trusted personal injury lawyers near you. This can be done by calling the law office directly and explaining your case. If you prefer to start the conversation online, you can fill out an online form. You should be prepared to share your details with the firm you contact.
5. Determine whether the law firm is familiar with taking personal injury cases to trial. In a personal injury lawsuit, you should seek damages equal to the amount of your injuries and any suffering. You may need to take your case to court. Many personal injury law firms don’t have the experience to take cases to trial or through verdict. In cases that are too large, some law firms refer to another lawyer. It is important to choose a law company that 1) has experience in taking cases to trial, and 2) has personal injury trial lawyers who have handled cases similar to yours.
Penney and Associates have several experienced ex-insurance company trial lawyers who have handled many personal injury cases to verdict. No cases are ever referred to third parties.
Ask friends and family for recommendations to help you find a personal injury attorney.
Online research is one way to find a lawyer. But it’s not the only way. Talk to your family and friends and get a recommendation from them. It is always a good idea to get a referral from someone you trust.
Begin by reaching out to family members who have been represented in personal injury cases. Ask about their experiences. Ask about the outcome of the case and how it went with the lawyer.
You can start by going online with a recommendation and basic information. When it comes time to contact them, you will have more information and perhaps more confidence. You don’t have to hire a lawyer just because someone recommended it. It is important to do your research and make your own decisions. Talk to the lawyer and their company. You should assess if they are the right fit for you. You should not hire them until you have met and discussed your case.
What should you talk about during your initial consultation with a lawyer after you have contacted them?
It is important to schedule a consultation with potential attorneys. The consultation allows you to learn more about the lawyer and the firm. It also gives the lawyer the opportunity to learn more about you and your case. Consultations are free for most lawyers so take this opportunity to get to know them.
Your lawyer will ask many questions about your case so be prepared. You should bring all documents related to your case with you, such as the police report, medical bills and correspondence with insurance. You should be clear and open about everything you know about the case. Being honest about your situation, even in the early stages, is the best way to inform and establish a relationship with the lawyer who may be able to handle your case.
The lawyer will be available to answer any questions you may have to help you determine if you are a good match. Ask questions like:
- How long have they been practising?
- Are they familiar with cases similar to yours? What were their results?
- Are they mostly representing plaintiffs or defendants
- Are they allowed to refer cases to third parties?
Consultation is a great way for you to get to know your lawyer and to ask any questions. The consultation stage will allow the lawyer to fully understand your case.